Saturday, July 26, 2008
- finish processing a dozen new magazines that arrived while I was off yesterday and switch out new issues for old issues on display racks
- finish processing a dozen new fiction books that arrived yesterday, four of which have holds
- withdraw growing pile of old magazines
- withdraw all of the New York Times Book Review since we're no longer keeping it separate
- remove a waiting stack of about eight or ten books from the New Shelf
- re-label and / or re-case a half dozen CD-ROMs
- shelve new books
- work on on-going CD-ROM / DVD-ROM list project thingy
- sign into new library website blog and get myself set up there
- torment bookshelvers whenever possible
- ignore the children's librarian whenever possible
- help patrons as much as they'll let me
Labels: on the job
Monday, July 21, 2008
100 Things (Part Five)
36. When I was a little kid, I loved the Beatles even though I knew almost nothing about them.
37. The only thing I ever really miss about church is the music. I've always loved that people are supposed to sing in church, never mind actual singing ability.
38. When I get mad at the boys at work I throw paperback romances at them.
39. I hate cherry-flavored anything except for Cherry Coke, Cherry 7UP, Code Red Mountain Dew... and probably a couple of other partially cherry soft drinks, like probably Cherry Ski.
40. I do not want a Smart Car.
41. I have a three dimensional smiley face bank that I save pennies in.
42. My last semester of college I attended the Midwest Model United Nations conference in St. Louis and it ROCKED.
43. I'm almost incapable of putting something recyclable in a trash can.
44. My younger brother is a mechanic and that works out to be awesome for me.
45. As a small child, my favorite television show was Sesame Street, I think, but if not then it was Smurfs.
46. I love visiting Chicago.
47. Charles Addams just might be my favorite cartoonist.
48. My computer monitor sits on a really old atlas.
49. I have parents who are as cool as can be expected.
50. I have super-excellent friends.
51. I've never been west of St. Louis, but I've seen the Gulf of Mexico, Lake Michigan, Lake Erie and I've been to Washington D. C. several times.
52. I think diamonds are overrated.
53. I never eat all of the bananas I buy unless I bake them into bread.
54. I'm almost half Irish and half German, but there's a little Cherokee worked in on the Irish side.
55. I went to the high school with the worst reputation in the school system and loved every year of it.
Labels: 100 Things
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
100 Things (Part Four)
27. I am a total sucker for donuts.
28. I have a sweet tooth for sure, but I don't really get excited about hard candy.
29. I am temporally challenged.
30. I think ceiling fans are awesome.
31. I don't think I'm very good at showing when I care.
32. I drive a 1999 Hyundai Sonata and I never liked it very much even before playing What's Broken This Month!
33. It takes me a long time to make macaroni and cheese, but I can't figure out why.
34. I love Chucks... you know... Converse All Stars... the canvas shoes with the rubber toes that come in a rainbow of colors and patterns!
35. I'm easily amused and yet easily bored.
Labels: 100 Things
Monday, July 14, 2008
One Time At Dairy Queen
I was wearing my Will Work for Books T-shirt. Some woman was just about going crazy over it; she loved it. Just as I was saying "Thank you" she looked at it again. It turns out she read it wrong. She though it said Will Work for Boobs. What?!
Saturday, July 12, 2008
100 Things (Part Three)
16. Sometimes I wonder if I should rearrange my previously mentioned top 3 to accommodate the Dixie Chicks or the Eels.
17. I don't really like stuffed animals. Yes, I own stuffed animals. It's really rather complicated.
18. I think that chocolate is a very good thing 99% of the time.
19. Sex and the City is one of my very favorite TV shows, but for some reason I've never wanted to read the book.
20. The West Wing is another of my very favorite TV shows-- possibly my most favorite.
21. My favorite video game is Tetris. Sometimes I'm even good at it. Sort of.
22. I love games! Few things more fun than gathering some people together and playing a good game.
23. I actually kind of like Duran Duran.
24. I check my e-mail obsessively.
25. I *heart* Google Reader.
26. I really love maps and globes.
Labels: 100 Things
Sunday, July 06, 2008
100 Things (Part Two)
10. I actually do love my country.
11. When asked what my top 3 bands / musicians are, I will say: U2, Barenaked Ladies and Simon & Garfunkel, in no particular order.
12. Through peer pressure, I have come to enjoy Chinese buffets.
13. My new favorite pizza toppings combo is tomatoes and pineapple!
14. I actually have my tassels, from high school & college graduations hanging in my house... but I'm not sure why.
15. A friend recently gave my wind-up chattering teeth, and I think they're AWESOME.
Labels: 100 Things
Tuesday, July 01, 2008
So, this weekend my dear friend EvilDucky is having her back porch screened in to keep it bug-free. Tonight we had this instant-message conversation:
EvilDucky: I just killed a mosquito in my bathroom
me: And you think your porch will be mosquito free.
EvilDucky plans and mosquitos laugh.
EvilDucky: *grinds teeth *
me: I'm sorry; I shouldn't say that. It'll be a vast improvement, for sure.
I think she bit me on my arm
me: Now you'll turn into a mosquito!
Wait... that's that other thing...
EvilDucky: might be okay if I could BE one
I dont think they bite each other
But you might try to bite me, so I'd have to try and kill you first.
EvilDucky: it'd be a fight to the death! however, if I bit you I could lay my eggs
me: This is getting weird.
EvilDucky: yeah, I stop now