Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Book Report

1:05 a.m. / 01:05

In the past five or six weeks I've read five books, which means I really haven't been reading all that much. I read:

There's a Slight Chance I (Might) Be Going to Hell by Laurie Notaro
I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle
It Had to Be You by Sarah Webb
The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares
Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Of the five, There's a Slight Chance I (Might) Be Going to Hell is my favorite, followed by I Love You, Beth Cooper. I have enjoyed essays by Laurie Notaro, but I believe I enjoyed There's a Slight Chance... much more. It's different from most other books I've read and a bit quirky; especially for something I think could be considered chick-lit. Beth Cooper continues the quirky theme. Dennis, the main character and major geek goes on a roller coaster of stereotypical high-school experiences in the 24 hours following his high school graduation, after he tells the head cheerleader, Beth, that he loves her in the middle of his valedictorian speech. He even managed to do it somewhat tastefully. I think this book would have been even better if I'd had more time to sit and read it with fewer breaks. Anytime I had time to read several chapters in a row, I noticed a certain momentum building that added to my enjoyment of the story. Storm Front is the first in the Dresden Files series. I enjoyed it, but I don't think I'll be rushing to read the other eight books before the tenth one comes out in the spring. Harry Dresden, the lead character, is a modern-day wizard and also a private investigator in Chicago. He's pretty cool, but once or twice a tad dramatic. It's a little weird to read a whole paragraph describing how sapped of energy he is, only to have him perform some unnecessary spell in the next paragraph. I think Storm Front is Jim Butcher's first novel, so maybe the series improves as it goes on.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?