Sunday, July 08, 2007

Reading And Little Else

11:30 p.m. / 23:30

While you've been wondering if I've abandoned this 'ere blog I've been reading. A lot. Since my June 17th post talking about Summer Reading, I've read five more books:

The Time It Takes To Fall by Margaret Lazarus Dean
Sunshine by Robin McKinley
Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich
Self Storage by Gayle Brandeis
Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The one that I fell most in love with is definitely Sunshine by Robin McKinley. This is a nearly perfect book, for when you just want something good. It's not particularly deep and it's not particularly shallow. It's funny, but not a goofy laugh riot without anything real. Oh, and there are vampires! Of course, I don't blame you if the thought of reading about vampires doesn't excite you. I've never really been one for vampire novels myself, but this one rocks. I read it on the recommendation of velocibadgergirl*, who read it on the recommendation of Nancy Pearl. Sunshine is a terrific main character and the world Robin McKinley creates for her is excellently believable. It's a lot like ours... but with magic 'n stuff. My only disappointment is that most of the author's previous work doesn't look all that appealing to me. I just might have to try some of it anyway, though, since after all, I never wanted to read a vampire novel before either. According to her website, it is a possibility that she might write a sequel to Sunshine, but I probably shouldn't hold my breath waiting. I noticed in the reader reviews on Barnes & Noble's website that although most people loved the book, a few people felt the book had way too much description. That's a complaint I've made myself about other books, but every detail in Sunshine just seemed to make it better. As for the people who said it wasn't enough of a romance, well, they just weren't reading the right book, I don't think, although maybe they could stand to broaden their definition of romance.

Self Storage by Gayle Brandeis and Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini are the first notably post-9/11 books I've read. Self Storage gives a lot of food-for-thought on life in our country in the year following the attacks, without really being about the tragedy itself. As for Kite Runner, probably every good thing you've heard about it is true, at least to some extent. This is one of those books that I just heard about and saw again and again until I almost felt obligated to read it, and I'm glad I did. The thing I find most amazing about this book is that so much of it is depressing, that it could have just been a really negative book... but it's not. Somehow Khaled Hosseini wrote it just right so that it is shocking, but also hopeful; there is dark and also light.

*To read velocibadergirl's own thoughts on Sunshine on her book blog click here.

Labels:


Comments:
I'm glad you liked Sunshine. I've been told that Beauty is very good, but I haven't read it yet.
 
I actually started reading Beauty just today. Of all her other works, it was the most appealing. I've only read about eight pages, though, so no judgement yet.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?