Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Last of My Christmas Reading

3:10 p.m. / 15:10

The shepherd, the Angel and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog by Dave Barry turned out to be pretty short for a book with such a long title. I read it in less than 24 hours. I even went to an out-of-town wedding during that time, and still finished it up. (No, I did not read my book during the wedding!)

Now, let's look back for just a moment. First I read The Hogfather, which featured Death as a main character. Next I read The Stupidest Angel, which featured zombies on Christmas Eve. So what now? Bat poop. Lots of bat poop. I kept reading along in this book thinking it really wasn't nearly as absurd as I would have expected a Dave Barry Christmas novel to be, but looking back, the bat poop was pretty absurd. Just to clarify, absurd is a good thing in a Dave Barry novel.

I think that of the three Christmas books I read, this one had the most heart-warming, happy Christmas ending of all of them. It's all about a boy named Doug and the events that took place leading up to and then during the St. John's Episcopal Church Christmas pageant and about how a dog named Walter saved everything. I think my favorite thing about the book is all of the pictures, especially the photos, that illustrate it. Over all though, I think this was my least favorite. It was good, but I didn't feel like it was Dave Barry at his best. I'm not sorry I read it, but I'm a little sorry I lost patience with the library and bought my own copy.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?