Sunday, December 31, 2006

Kindness

2:40 p.m. / 14:40

One day at work, the week before Christmas, I walked out front to greet a woman who'd just walked in, and she smiled and said she didn't know if I'd remember her or not, but I had let her use the telephone the last time she'd been in and she wanted to thank me. She sat a small gift bag on the counter and in it was a snow lady.

It's hard to see it in the picture, but the little oval says "Thank You for Your Kindness". I hope I thanked the woman appropriately, because I was just in shock at the time. We let people use the phone all of the time since they took out our pay phone. I did kind of remember her, though, because most of the time it's kids who use the phone.

I'm keeping the snow lady at work for now, because I think she's more appreciated there. In truth, she's not my style, but the thought behind the gift will stay with me for a very long time. I have the note that was tied to the gift bag hanging inside my locker in the staff room. That particular day was otherwise rather crummy, but this was a wonderful, glowing bright spot in the day.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?