Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Witchy

11:53 p.m. / 23:53

I am a witch for Halloween this year. I went to work in costume yesterday, and I'll be attending a slightly belated Halloween party on Friday, also in my witch costume this is the fourth time in my life that I have been a witch for Halloween, but I think this might be the most fun witch costume I've had. I was a witch for my first Halloween that I actually got to go trick-or-treating. I'm 25 now, so that was... probably 22 - 23 years ago, so I actually can't remember my feelings all that well, but in pictures I look mighty happy. The two times in between, though, being a witch was act of desperation. I never thought I'd dress as a witch again, but I have these awesome fuzzy, black-and-orange knee socks that I picked up on clearance last year, and they were just begging to be made part of witch costume. I found a really great witchy black skirt in the juniors's department (of all the places!) at Kohl's, and it was even on clearance. It was easy to come up with a long-sleeved black t-shirt, and the hat was pretty easy too. I spent at least half an hour at the mall agonizing over black jewelry (in part because it had to be something I'd wear again) and finally settled on a beaded, multi-strand choker necklace and rather dangley, sort of old-fashioned looking earrings. It all started with the fuzzy, striped socks, but my favorite part is my shoes. I was going to wear chunky black loafers that I already own, but since the skirt was on clearance, I permitted myself to browse shoes. I found totally, incredibly awesome witch shoes. I'm told they're really quite in style, but they rather look like they're meant for a witch. Okay, yes, they'd look good with other outfits too, but especially when I have them on with the rest of my costume, they are oh so wonderfully witchy! They're made to look like men's dress shoes, but they have heels, making them very much women's shoes. I love heels and they looks so much better than the chunky loafers I was supposed to wear originally. The costume was a hit at work yesterday, and I anticipate positive reactions on Friday as well.

Given all that, I've been in a witchy mood of sorts. For example, I've been thinking about watching the movie The Witches, or re-reading the book by Roald Dahl. Just tonight, I was browsing at Barnes & Noble, and felt I had to buy a copy of Alice Hoffman's Practical Magic. I read a library copy earlier this year, but I love the witch boot with roses on the cover of the trade paperback I bought tonight. It just felt appropriate to buy it right now.

In other book "news", I finally bought myself a copy of Jennifer Weiner's In Her Shoes, because I finally found a copy that with the original cover art, not the movie cover. Hooray!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?