Saturday, November 18, 2006

Back To Books

5:06 p.m. / 17:06

Today I finished reading Wedding Season by Darcy Cosper. I enjoyed every page of it, but I thought more than once while reading it that I'm glad that cheek-kissing as a greeting is not a fashion where I live. I have enough trouble with my friends trying to hug me all the time. But onward: the outcome I had predicted for this book happened about half way through, and I was completely bewildered for the rest of the book. Ultimately, the ending was weird. Not weird-bad, just weird-that's-not-how-chick-lit-is-supposed-to-end weird. It was definitely chick-lit, too. With that title and 5 pastel bridesmaid dresses lined up on the cover, it pretty much had to be. I was actually concerned it would be too chicky for me. I often saw it sitting on my bookshelf, waiting to be read, and wondered why I'd had to buy that one, and not just read a library copy. Wedding Season is not my new favorite book, but it was worth the time I spent with it and it will keep its place on my shelf. In spite of all the many, many weddings and dresses and all the girl-talk and striking similarities to later seasons of the TV show Sex In the City, I really find this book, and its leading chick, Joy Silverman, to be unique. How many chick-lit novels have you read where the official best friend is a beautiful lesbian who goes by Henry?

Vince & Joy by Lisa Jewell is another book I've read this month. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting either, but it was still a fun book. Kudos to Lisa Jewell for quoting Lynda Barry in the front of the book. I would share the quote, but I forgot to write it down before I returned the book to the library.

A Higher Geometry by Sharelle Byars Moranville is a young adult novel I read rather quickly this past week on my lunch hours. It's a great little story about a girl named Anna in Illinois during the 1960 / 1961 school year who is both good at math and very much loves math, even though girls of that time weren't really supposed to be good at it or love it.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?