Sunday, May 28, 2006

Yo-Yo vs. Roller Coaster & Unsensible Shoes

10:55 p.m. / 22:55

Some people describe their lives using a roller coaster metaphor. I prefer to compare my life to a yo-yo. It still has ups and downs, but it's much sillier, and doesn't imply so much excitement. Often times, the ups and downs are emotional, but other times it has more to do with my outlook on life.

Yesterday I was in Walgreens and Let's Live For Today by The Grass Roots started playing on the oldies station that was being piped through the store's speakers. Normally, I enjoy this song, but yesterday I found myself scoffing at the idea that it's best to not worry so much about money, careers and the future. ( "When I think of all the worries people seem to find /And how they're in a hurry to complicate their mind / By chasing after money and dreams that can't come true / I'm glad that we are different, we've better things to do / May others plan their future, I'm busy lovin' you (1-2-3-4) / Sha-la-la-la-la-la, live for today" ) I wondered where this adult and somewhat jaded reaction had come from. "Wow" I thought, "I'm really changing".

Later at home, I saw the red patent leather (well, plastic or rubber is more accurate) sling-back heels I'd purchased the night before. I remembered deciding to buy them even though I almost never wear anything red, and how silly I felt wearing them the rest of the night (at my friends' insistence). Okay, maybe I haven't become completely sensible after all. Sure I get excited about insurance and retirement savings plans, but I also really enjoy ridiculous shoes.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?