Thursday, November 17, 2005

I Could Have Been Reading Something Good!

12:45 a.m. / 00:45

Instead, I was reading Shaking Her Assets by Robin Epstein and Renee Kaplan. It looked like it could be really good; I am so disapointed.

I was originally drawn to the book by the bright, comic-style cover. I know I'm not supposed to judge books by their covers, but I am the daughter of two artists, and I even studied graphic design myself for a little while in college. I'm a very visuals-oriented person. What something looks like tends to matter to me. So, in bookstores or the library where I work, books grab my attention less with their titles, and more with their cover art.

After I read the description on the back cover, I was intrigued enough by the idea of the main character, Rachel Chambers, being turned into a comic book superhero by the art director at her temp job. This turned out to be the most interesting part of the story, but it wasn't as interesting as I had hoped. The rest of the story was almost boring.

I was also disapointed by the book poking fun at environmentalists and massage-therapists-in-training. Rachel gets a temp job with an organization called trees.org. It sounded as though maybe the trees.org folks get carried away sometimes, but as treehugger myself, some of what was said rubbed me the wrong way. It also bugged me that there was a vague implication that there was something wrong with the fact that Rachel's roommate and her roommates boyfriend were both training to be massage therapists.

So, I wouldn't recommend reading Shaking Her Assets, but if you do want to read it, you can have my copy.

Labels:


Comments:
Great subject line! Sorry the book was a stinker, though :P
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?