Monday, October 03, 2005

Anna Maxted & Other Good Reading

1:30 p.m. / 13:30

Well, I have read three books since I last posted anything.

I finished another Anna Maxted book, called Getting Over It. This one is actually Maxted's first novel, although I think she's written four or five of them now. I liked this one even better than Running in Heels. Her main characters take a little while for me to warm up to, but over all, I really enjoy her books, and I think she's become a new favorite of mine.

I followed Getting Over It with a couple of young adult novels: Esperanza Rising, by Pam Munoz Ryan and Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine.

Esperanza Rising has a lot to do with the treatment of Mexican field workers in the United States during the Great Depression. That was covered in my high school history classes, but the new twist in this book is that Esperanza had been wealthy and privledged in Mexico, but here that did not matter.

Ella Enchanted is an excellent fairy tale. Ella is an extremely likeable, relatable character. Her prince is a cool guy, too.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?