Friday, September 02, 2005

Update (Oh, yes, finally!)

2:45 a.m. / 02:45

First of all, this is bound to be utterly random; I'm warning you now.

Books: I gave up Watermelon for now. I still want to read it, but it was a library book, and I decided to make a specific effort to read books I own for a little while. So, since then I have read For Matrimonial Purposes by Kavita Daswani and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.

I really enjoyed For Matrimonial Purposes. The culture-clash humor is great. It also has a very satisfying ending.

When I was younger, I really loved Roald Dahl's children's books. I read Matilda and The Witches back then. I'm not really sure if I've out-grown his books, or if having seen both movies based on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory left me unable to really enjoy the book.

Since finishing those two books, I've been reading The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers and Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh. I'm enjoying both, but progress has been slow, because I've been watching more television and playing more video games (game boy advance) than usual. Oh, yeah, and even though it was mid-August at the time, I started making Christmas ornaments.

Movies: I went on a cheap DVD buying spree at Best Buy last week. I got The Neverending Story for $9.99, Muppets From Space for $6.99 and What Dreams May Come, also for $6.99.

My Computer: Why did I abandon my blog this most recent time? Just a week and a half after installation, my wireless adapter card stopped working. Ahhhhhhhhhh! I tried everything. A very knowledgeable friend made some suggestions, and I also looked at the tech support website provided by the card's maker-- but nothing worked! As a last, hopeless effort, I plugged the card into a different slot, and that fixed it, finally! Woo-hoo! I'm back online!

Hurricane Katrina: I have family who live on the coast in Mississippi. They're all safe, but their house is damaged. It was such an incredible relief to find out they're okay. Here in Indiana, gas prices have gone way up, thanks to Katrina plowing through such an oil-rich area. The higher prices are a major pain in the rear, but that's the worst of it for us. We still have our lives and our homes. I'm feeling pretty lucky.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?