Thursday, September 15, 2005

Little Known Fact: I Love Organization!

5:55 p.m. / 17:55

But nobody knows that. Nobody knows that, because my stuff is always in a state of disaster. I was sitting here thinking about how I need to be cleaning off my desk. Here is a list of just ten of the many items that belong somewhere that is not my desk:

my wall calendar
gum wrappers
books
a bottle of vitamin C
package of butter cookies (empty)
mail addressed to a student organization I'm no longer president of
the empty box my Wireless-G PCI Adapter came in
my college diploma
sale stickers removed from book covers
earrings

Let me see if I can make sense of this for you. I love to be organized, but the way organization works in my mind is exhausting and time-consuming. My first problem is I don't like to start organizing, unless I am going to finish organizing. I tend to put off cleaning off the desk until I can also pick up the floor, etc. My second problem is once I'm organized, I cannot seem to form habits that keep me organized. Everything becomes a mess again in a rather brief period of time. I've never really understood how that happens; I can never remember the transformation from clean space to messy space.

On the right day, in the right mood, I can get such a thrill from organizing (organizing pretty much anything), that really it's almost kind of sick. Alphabetizing is fun! Color-coding is like a game! It feels so good to dump stuff in the trash!

Most days, though, I live with really random piles of stuff and equally random boxes of stuff. Oddly, I can usually find anything I'm looking for, but my stuff doesn't look good this way, and it really doesn't feel good to live this way.

So, I checked out two books from the library that I thought might actually help me.

Organizing For Your Brain Type: Finding Your Own Solution to Managing Time, Paper and Stuff by Lanna Nakone

Organizing From the Right Side of the Brain: A Creative Approach to Getting Organized by Lee Silber

I've just realized though, that I've run out of renewals, and still haven't read either book. So, I guess I'm doomed to be disorganized for a while longer. I have just got to clean off this desk, though!

Labels:


Comments:
This post sounds suspiciously like you dove into my brain and wrote it from there...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?